Here are 7 Simple Tips to help maintain Upholstered Furniture at your residence in Birmingham AL. If you follow these easy tips you will have great looking furniture year after year.
1. Choose the Right Fabric – Be careful when you purchase your furniture. Beware of fabrics coded “S” which means “Dry clean only.” Give yourself an advantage by buying the right fabric that is easy to clean and maintain. We at Heaven’s Best Carpet Cleaning recommend furniture that is labeled with a “W” or “WS” cleaning code. This means that the fabric can be cleaned with water soluble cleaning solutions which makes it easy to clean. If you choose the right fabric it will make maintaining it much easier and it will help to extend the furniture's life.
2. Protect Your Fabric – Having Fabric Protection or Scotch guard applied to your furniture immediately after purchasing it will help it stay clean longer. If you need someone to apply the Fabric Protection, call Heaven’s Best Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning at (205) 618-9150. We have an excellent fabric protection product that will help keep your sofas and chairs looking great for a long time, and our prices are much less than doing it yourself.
But, remember that even if you have fabric protection applied, that does not mean you don’t have to clean up spots or spills. It just means they will be easier to clean up. So, remember to wipe up spills and spots as soon as possible. The sooner you wipe a spot the easier it is to clean up.
3. Turn the Cushions – This is a simple “no-brainer” tip. You can easily extend your upholstered furniture’s life by periodically turning over the loose cushions. This easy maintenance method allows for an even distribution of wear and tear and your cushions won’t develop indentations right away. Caring for cushions by fluffing them also helps keep them in shape.
Also, move the location of the cushions around from one side to the other in addition to turning them over. seats get more usage than others, so changing cushions around will ensure even usage.
4. Vacuum – This is another easy tip that you may have forgotten. Just like vacuuming your carpet helps maintain it and extend its life, vacuuming your upholstered furniture weekly will help remove dust and surface soil. This also prevents dirt from becoming embedded into the fibers. You can also use a brush to gently whisk the dirt away. Make sure to always use a soft bristled brush so that you don't snag the fabric.
5. Spot Clean - While regular care does a lot for your upholstered furniture's maintenance, accidents will happen. Blot any spills immediately with a clean towel: never rub, but blot gently. Sometimes this is enough to get rid of the stain completely, especially if the fabric has been pre-treated with a fabric protector. If you need something a little stronger than water to get rid of a spot, Heaven’s Best Professional Strength Spot Remover works great on upholstery as well as carpets. If you need a bottle, call us at (205) 618-9150. Once you purchase a bottle of our spot remover, we will refill the bottle for life. So, it is a great value as well.
6. Avoid Sunlight – Too much sun can damage your upholstery fabric, causing it to fade and even fray. Try to position it so that it doesn’t sit in the sun for extended periods of time. This is especially true for silks or other delicate fabrics.
7. Finally, Call a Professional, like Heaven’s Best Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning – It is best to have a professional such as Heaven’s Best clean your upholstered furniture every couple of years. Experts recommend having this done on a regular basis and not wait for it to get visibly dirty. The dirtier a sofa or chair becomes; the harder it is to restore to its original glory. But, Heaven’s Best Carpet and Upholstery Cleaning has revived many pieces and can do a great job making your furniture look and smell great. Call us at (205) 618-9150 for our current upholstery cleaning specials. By following these 7 Simple Tips for Maintaining Upholstered Furniture in Birmingham AL, your furniture will look great for many years to come.